I decided to try and wrangle up the guys for a conference call to wish Fitz a happy birthday. As you can imagine, hilarity ensued! I decided to document the effort in the form of a report card. Each person was graded* on the following criteria:
Effort, Technical Knowledge, and “Other”
The highlights were: Steve’s phone greeting (sounded like a Vespa owner), Mikey pretending to be Mark and saying “Hello?” after every other ring, and Bally yelling in the background… hopefully Mark got a kick out of the messages we left!
Bally = B+
- B for Effort – hey, its tough pulling yourself away from the cabin to participate in such nonsense!
- A for Tech – he knows exactly how to “work” Fasana
- A for Other – he did a fantastic job of heckling the rest of us while on speakerphone (while sitting on the couch with a beer, I’m sure!)
Dave = C+
- F for Effort – this grade is for IBM making him work 3rd shift on Mark’s birthday – what were they thinking?!
- A for Tech – although this is unconfirmed, my guess is Dave has a better handle than the rest of these guys on how to make a conference call
- B for Other – for being there in spirit
Fasana = A-
- A for Effort – though he didn’t get my e-mail, he was at the right place at the right time and was always the first to call me back when everybody would inevitably get dropped
- B+ for Tech – though he didn’t know how to conference with his cell phone, the speakerphone more than made up for it!
- A for Other – considering that he rarely picks up when I call (ok, so its usually 12am when I call and not 12pm) he took the call while at the cabin!
Hutch = C+
- A for Effort – he responded to e-mails and made sure to let me know when he was going to be in the office
- F for Tech – he had no idea how to make a conference call, even with hours of time to prep for it!
- B for Other – for not going all BNT on us!
Mark = C+
- D for Effort – come on man, we called every single one of your phones!
- C+ for Tech – though he has all the tech he could possibly need to get a phone call, he somehow missed all 3 calls!
- A for Other – ok, so it was his birthday after all!
Mikey = A
- A for Effort = even though he never got any of the e-mails, he was still ready and willing!
- A for Tech = finally, somebody who knew how to make a friggin conference call!
- A for Other = for keeping us all amused – anything involving 6 guys at once, Mikey always comes out on top! errr..
Steve = C-
- C+ for Effort = he responded to the e-mails, picked up his phone but then suddenly disappeared
- C for Tech = he was able to conference Mikey in, though they work in the same building..
- D for Other = though his manner of answering the phone gave us all a good chuckle, when push came to shove, he bailed
T.K. = B-
- B+ for Effort = he was ready and waiting, and even though I’m sure it annoyed the hell out of him, he hung around during all 3 attempts
- D for Tech = he’s got a brand new cell phone with all the bells and whistles, and he can’t make a conference call?!
- A for Other = it just wouldn’t have been the same without TK telling everybody to be quiet and then promptly cracking up
Happy (now belated) Birthday Mark!